Friday, August 13, 2010

Entertainment News

R ‘n’ B may sound alien to some Christian faithful, but Patience Namadingo has employed the beat to preach the good news. In this interview, Watipaso Mzungu Jnr tries to find out if Namadingo has gone into music out of desperation for something to do. Excerpts:

Could you tell me when you ventured into music?

I started music long time ago, but didn’t know I would become a musician one day. I always thought I was just a singer.

But it’s in December 2006 when I went to South Africa when I realized I’m more than a singer. While there, I used to spend most of my time in the park where I watched live performances by well-known musicians. I also attended part-time classes in music. I majored myself into music as a pianist. In January 2008, I returned to Malawi after mastering the piano. Immediately, I released my first album titled Goshen. In short, that’s how I can chronicle the history of my music career.

What was the message in that album?

I’ve observed that some people are behaving as if they’re already in heaven. So in that album, I wanted to give people a clear picture that we’re living in the world and the journey is still on.

Did that album sell? How did people receive it?

Many people said it was a good production for a starter. But that time I wasn’t much into R ‘n’ B.

Oh! So you’re an R ‘n’ B musician? But I wonder if religionists can listen to such kind of music.

Yes! I’m an R ‘n’ B musician and I’m quite optimistic that people like this kind of music because even George Mkandawire is an R ‘n’ B musician. Christians have long used this type of music for their praise and worship. The other point to note is that younger people occupy the highest percentage of our Churches’ population. People have long connected R ‘n’ B music to the youths. This means that if we don’t play their tune [R ‘n’ B]; we’re denying them the vehicle that can take them to the Lord.

You’ve just released your second album. Can you tell me something about it?

Yes, I’ve just finished working on my second album entitled Tili ndi Yesu. It’s not officially released for people to start buying. But it’s on the promotional stage. But very soon, people should expect it to be on the market. In the album, I’m tackling a number of issues. Basically, it’s the message of hope and encouragement.

Many people claim to be musicians yet their work [music] suggests otherwise. This implies that some go into music because they didn’t have something to do. Are you sure you are a musician and not someone in desperate need of work?

I personally believe that those who have listened to my music will conclude that I’m a musician. I didn’t go into music because I didn’t have something to do. I’ve the passion for music and there’s nothing that can stop me from forging ahead with this career.

My observation is that most of our artists fail to break through on the market. What do you think is the main reason for this?

Lack of resource! I believe money holds key to everything. The problem is that if you don’t have what it takes to break through, you can’t go ahead. There are a lot of musicians in Malawi, but lack of financial muscle to promote their music. The other challenge is that many musicians in Malawi want to run everything by themselves.

In other countries, musicians have mentors and managers who are helping them in their career.

And you think you will be able to beat all these impediments?

Yes! In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, I will. I look at my future in music as bright. As a musician with expertise in playing piano, I believe everything will work well for me.

Finally, what should music lovers expect from you?

This is just my beginning. I have just opened a page in my music career and I would like to promise better things from me.

END

No comments: