Friday, November 12, 2010

Meet Stevie ‘Paudala’ Ligomeka

For those who like radio plays, the name Stevie ‘Paudala’ Ligomeka could not be strange. He has been in drama industry for many years. Our reporter Watipaso Mzungu Jnr had a chat with Ligomeka to get a stint of what constitutes acting profession. Excerpts:

Can you tell me who Stevie Ligomeka is?
I am a teacher by profession. I teach at Njamba CDSS in Blantyre. In the acting world, my name is Paudala.
When and what made you go into acting?
At a very tender age, I used to crack jokes with people. It was when I was in Sunday school, though, that I discovered that I had a talent in drama.I used crack jokes that sent people into laughter and that inspired me into becoming a full-time artist one day.
When I graduated into Limbe Primary School in 1978, my desire for acting grew even more. In 1989, I went to Lilongwe Teachers’ Training College (TTC) where I was elected chairperson for the college’s entertainment club. This is where I developed my career.
But how did you find yourself at Malawi Broadcasting Corporation (MBC) Pamajiga radio play?
After finishing my studies at Lilongwe TTC, I taught in different schools before being posted to Njamba CDSS. It was here that one of the teachers, Mrs. Makwemba, spotted my talent. Mrs Makwemba’s late husband, Charles, was producer of Pamajiga and it seemed there was need for actors to fill the gap that had been created by the death of some actors.
Mrs. Makwemba advised me to see the late Charles for auditions. I was picked the same day of the auditions. I have been at MBC for 11 years now although I am not a full-time employee there.
In most of the radio plays, you assume the role of a confusionist and mischievous child. Are you happy with this role?
Yes, I am very happy with it. You may wish to know that through drama, just like journalism, we aim at entertaining, educating and informing. In most of the plays, I’m a nephew to Anyoni who is living in town with his family.
It is inevitable to find one mischievous child or two in every family, but the way each family handles such children is what matters. In our plays, we want to teach people how they can help such children grow into responsible children. But apart from being a confusionist, I play the role of a teacher and advisor to Anyoni who sometimes acts mischievously.
Is drama a profession worth pursuing?
Drama is a profession that, if well nurtured, has potential to create job opportunities for many people in the country. Unlike in the past when people used to look at actors as insane members of the society, people are now appreciating the important role actors play in the dissemination of information.
Today, even business organizations are employing services of actors if they want to advertise their goods and services. This shows how crucial this industry is in all sectors of life.
What could you highlight as main challenges of this career?
Lack of support among actors themselves could be the major challenge retarding the growth of this industry. For example, if an organization offers me a contract to write and produce plays on specific topics, I would engage my friends to help.
However, the problem comes when issues of money comes into play. Actors who clinched a deal with companies would usually want to rip off his or her friends, saying: “This was my contract and you’re just beneficiaries”. This is not good.
The other challenge is lack of contract offers from the corporate world. Things are improving, though and I can comfortably say drama has a future in Malawi.
What have achieved you achieved from acting?
I’ve a house in Nkolokoti. I have sent my children to good schools with money from acting.
Who do you admire in the acting world?
The late Du Chisiza Jnr and Frank Mwase are some of the people I respect very much in drama.
Your last word!
I thank Mrs. Makwemba who introduced me to her late husband. She opened my door to what I am today. I also thank Elson Soko, Anyoni, for his advisory role in my career.
END

No comments: