Thursday, September 9, 2010

Priest conducts special Mass for ex-convict

BY WATIPASO MZUNGU JNR

There was jubilation at Msambaadzukulu Roman Catholic Church 25 kilometres away from Madisi Parish where Rev. Fr. Denis Paul-Hamelin conducted a special Mass for a man who had just finished serving his jail-term at Maula Prison.

The ex-convict, Thomas Moses Bwankhuku had asked Fr. Paul-Hamelin to conduct the Mass at his home church to thank God for keeping him (Bwankhuku) alive in the gallows for six years when others had kicked the bucket.

“I felt the need to thank God for this wonderful gift of life he kept for me while in prison. Today, I am a very happy person my prayer has been answered,” said Bwankhuku to the reporter who had accompanied the priest from Lilongwe.

He also thanked the people accepting him back into the community saying: “I didn’t expect it. I thought the people could throw me with stones because of what I did to their daughter. i did not commit my crime in Mzuzu, but here. So I could not expect anything good from these villagers. But I am happy I have been forgiven and accepted back into the village.”

Chairman of Bowe Outstation Joseph Billiati said they felt honoured and humbled to receive Holy Eucharist courtesy of someone who had spent years in prison.

In his sermon, the priest said it was not his duty to judge people and that he values every Christian the same whether in free or enslaved.

“Some may wonder why I accepted to conduct a special Eucharistic celebration for Thomas who had been in prison for six years. I don’t think Thomas is worse than I am,” he said.

“It is possible I am worse than him only that I have not been caught. The same is true with you congregants. It may be possible you have been sinning but you have not been caught,” he emphasized.

Fr. Denis recalled that when he was first assigned to prison service, he was afraid thinking he would lose his life and property to inmates.

“But when I went there, I found very good people. They don’t bite nor do they rob me of my items. Since then I have made a number of friends in prisons and one of them is Thomas Moses Bwankhuku,” Fr. Denis said while women ululated.

Among notable people available on what the Father described as “the most remarkable day since I started my prisons’ ministry”, were Group Village Headman Ndayipanji Ntakuzi and Village Headman Kubwalo.

Thomas Moses Bwankhuku was arrested in 2003 by Mponela Police having raped a woman when he was coming back from Dambwe. He was sentenced to six years imprisonment with hard labour.

End

No comments: